What is a Vowst?
Vowst is a prescribed medicine used by adults to prevent Clostridioides difficile (CDI) from recurring following therapy for C. difficile infection.
Vowst is a mouth-to-mouth microbiome-based therapeutic that is composed of live bacteria. It is derived by consuming human faeces from donors who have been vetted.
Vowst treats CDI by making the microbiome (gut flora) return to a normal balance that is resistant to Clostridioides difficile colonisation and expansion.
What is the purpose of Vowst Treat?
Vowst can be used in order to stop the repeating of CDI in people who are aged 18 and older after treatment with antibacterial medication for the recurrence of CDI (rCDI).
CDI occurs due to the bacteria Clostridioides of the genus Clostridioides. When the balance of microorganisms that reside in the gut is altered (usually following an antibiotic course), Clostridioides difficile can multiply and grow, causing symptoms such as nausea, watery diarrhoea, abdominal pain, and fever.
Vowst is not a treatment or cure for Clostridioides incident infection.
Before you sign Vowst
Before you begin taking Vowst, make sure you read the details given and ensure that you comprehend the information. If you have any questions or are experiencing any side effects, consult your healthcare provider.
What should I do to take Vowst?
Vowst are taken on three separate days.
Before you make your Vowst:
- Two to four days prior to taking your initial dose, vow to complete your treatment with antibiotics to treat the C. difficile infection.
- The day prior and at least 8 hours before taking the initial dose, take 10 oz (296 millilitres) of magnesium citrate as a laxative.
- Don't eat or drink other than tiny amounts of water for at least 8 hours before taking the first dose.
The following day, after having taken the laxative, you can take 4 Vowst capsules in the mouth with an empty stomach prior to eating the first meal of the day. Take 4 Vowst capsules by mouth each day for a total of two days. Consume the capsules on a full stomach prior to eating the morning meal Suck each capsule whole. Don't crush, chew, or tear the capsules.
Usual Adult Dose for Prevention of Recurrence of Clostridioides Difficile Infection (CDI)
4 capsules, taken orally every day for three consecutive days.
Prior to taking the first dose, complete an antibacterial treatment for rCDI between 2 and 4 days before starting therapy with Vowst. Drink 296 millilitres (10 oz) of magnesium citrate the day prior to and at least 8 hours before beginning the dose. Consume each dosage (4 capsules) on an empty stomach prior to the breakfast meal that will be the first of the day.
To prevent the recurrence Clostridioides to prevent the recurrence of Clostridioides illness (CDI) for those who are 18 years old or older following treatment with antibacterials for chronic CDI (rCDI).
What other drugs can influence Vowst?
Vowst shouldn't be taken simultaneously with antibiotics. Antibiotics may interfere with the live bacteria that are contained in Vowst.
What should be avoided?
Inform your doctor if you are:
- If you suffer from kidney disease, it is possible that you will be unable to take magnesium citrate, a laxative.
- Have any medical issues that you are currently experiencing or have had?
- Use any medicine, which includes prescription and non-prescription supplements, vitamins, or supplements.
Contact your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It isn't known whether or not Vowst is safe to use during pregnancy.
Breastfeeding Inform your doctor that you are breastfeeding. It isn't known whether Vowst is excreted into breastmilk.
Side effects of Vowst
The most frequent adverse effects are:
- A stomach that is bloated
There are many possible negative side effects. Be sure to inform your doctor about any adverse reaction that irritates you or does not disappear. For more details, consult your physician or pharmacist.
Consult your physician to seek medical advice regarding adverse effects. You may report side effects to Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc. at 1-833-246-2566 or the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088, or report online at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What should I do with my Vowst?
- Store the capsules in a bottle either in the refrigerator or in a room at 36 to 77 °F (2 up to 25 °C). Avoid storing them in the freezer.
- Do not drink Vowst after the expiration date that is stamped on the carton as well as the bottle.
Make sure that all medications are out of reach of pets and children.
What are the components of Vowst?
Active ingredient: live bacterial spores
Inactive ingredients: glycerol, saline