What is Tadalafil?
Tadalafil relaxes the muscles of the blood vessels and improves the flow of blood to specific parts of the body.
Tadalafil, also known as Cialis, will treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) and symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate). Another form of tadalafil is Adcirca, which helps treat hypertension of the pulmonary arterial system and improve fitness levels in both females and males.
Take caution when taking tadalafil when you are also taking nitrate medicine to treat chest discomfort or other heart issues, such as nitroglycerin dinitrate, isosorbide mononitrate, and some other recreational drugs like "poppers". Tadalafil taken in conjunction with a nitrate medication can result in an abrupt and significant drop in blood pressure.
Certain medications can trigger unintentional or hazardous adverse effects when combined with Tadalafil. Tell your doctor about your current medications, including riociguat (Adempas).Consult your physician or seek urgent medical attention if your discomfort persists for more than 4 hours. An extended erection (priapism) could cause damage to the penis.
Take immediate medical assistance. If you are experiencing nausea, chest pain, or dizziness while having sex,Stop taking tadalafil and seek medical assistance immediately if you are experiencing sudden loss of vision.
Before you Take this Drug
Tadalafil should not be taken if you have an allergy to it.
Tadalafil taken in conjunction with other medicines could cause an abrupt and significant drop in blood pressure. Do not take this medication if you take:
- riociguat (to treat hypertension in the pulmonary artery) as well as
- A nitrate-based drug (for problems with the heart or chest conditions) like nitroglycerin, isosorbide mononitrate, dinitrate, or recreational drugs like amyl nitrate and nitrite "poppers".
The tadalafil within your bloodstream two or more days after every dose (longer in the case of kidney or liver disease). Do not take nitrates during this period.
To ensure this medicine is appropriate for you, tell your physician if you have any of the following:
- Heart rhythm issues
- A heart attack or stroke;
- Angina (chest pain) and low or high blood pressure
- Pulmonary hypertension (unless you're taking tadalafil to treat this);
- A condition known as pulmonary veno-occlusive condition (narrowing of veins carrying blood from the lung into the heart);
- Kidney or liver disease (or if you're taking dialysis);
- Loss of vision, also known as retinitis pigmentosa (an eye disease that is inherited in the eyes);
- A bleeding disorder;
- An abnormality in blood cells such as sickle-cell leukemia, anemia or multiple myeloma.
- A physical defect that affects the penis (such as Peyronie's disease) or an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours
- A stomach ulcer;
- Health issues that make sexual activity risky.
A sudden vision loss has been observed in a few patients taking medications such as tadalafil (Viagra and others). The majority of them had eye issues or potential risk conditions for blood vessel problems (heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary arterial disease, smoking, or being more than 50 years old). It's not known if the medication was the primary reason for the loss of vision. Hearing loss at sudden intervals has been observed with Tadalafil. Stop taking tadalafil and consult your physician immediately if you experience hearing loss, loss of hearing, or ringing in the ears.
Do not begin and stop taking Tadalafil throughout pregnancy without consulting your doctor. Having pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) during pregnancy could cause heart problems, strokes, heart attacks, or other medical issues for both the mother and baby. Inform your doctor right away when you begin to become pregnant.
It is not recommended to breastfeed when taking Tadalafil. Discuss with your doctor any potential risks.Cialis cannot be used for women.Tadalafil has not been recommended for use by anyone less than 18 years old.
How to Take Tadalafil?
Tadalafil is usually only taken once a day. Follow the instructions on the prescription label. Don't take this medication in greater or lesser quantities or for a longer time than prescribed.Tadalafil is a medicine that can be taken in combination with or without food.Don't break or break a Cialis tablet. Take it in whole.
To treat erectile dysfunction, you should take Cialis prior to sexual activity, but not more than once per day. Cialis can be taken for up to 36 hours prior to sexual activities. Cialis will help you achieve an erection if sexual stimulation occurs. The erection won't happen simply by taking pills. Follow the instructions of your doctor.No Cialis for erectile problems If you're taking Adcirca for hypertension of the pulmonary artery.Keep at room temperature, free of heat and moisture.
What Happens if I Miss the Dose?
If tadalafil dosage is necessary, you are not likely to be following the dosing schedule.If you take tadalafil each day and miss a dose, you should take the dose you missed as quickly as you remember. Do not take your missed dose if you are nearing the time for the next scheduled dose. Take no additional medications in order to cover the dose you missed.
What Happens If I Overdose?
For medical emergencies, seek emergency medical attention or contact the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What Should be Avoided?
Consuming alcohol while taking this medication could result in a drop in blood pressure that can lead to fainting or dizziness.
Wine and grapefruit can be sources of tadalafil interaction and can result in undesirable negative side effects. Beware of using products made from grapefruit while taking this medication.
Side effects of Tadalafil
See a doctor immediately. If you are experiencing symptoms that you are experiencing an allergic reaction due to the drug tadalafil, such as symptoms of hives, breathing difficulties, or swelling of your lips, face, and tongue,
Get medical attention immediately. If you experience nausea, chest pain, or dizziness while having sex, You could be experiencing a potentially life-threatening adverse effect.
Stop taking tadalafil and contact your doctor immediately. If you suffer from:
- A feeling of lightheadedness, as if you're about to pass out.
- An erection that is painful lasts longer than 4 hours (prolonged sexual activity can cause damage to the penis);
- Vision changes or sudden vision loss;
- Hearing loss, ringing in the ears, sudden loss of hearing,
- Symptoms of heart attacks chest pressure or pain radiating into your shoulder or jaw; nausea; sweating.
Common side effects of tadalafil include:
- Flushing (warmth, redness, or a tingly sensation);
- Nausea, upset stomach;
- Stuffy nose,
- Back pain, muscle aches, back pain, or back pain in the leg, back,
This isn't a complete list of all the side effects. Other side effects could occur. Contact your doctor for advice regarding medical adverse effects. You may report any adverse reactions to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Interaction with Other Drugs
Discuss with your physician all the medicines you are currently taking and all you are about to start or stop taking, in particular:
- Drugs to treat erectile dysfunction pulmonary arterial hypertension
- An antifungal or antibiotic medicine;
- Antiviral medicine used to treat hepatitis C or HIV/AIDS
- Medications for treating high blood pressure or prostate disorder
- Seizure medicine.
This list isn't complete. Other medications can be incompatible with tadalafil. These include prescription and over-the-counter medicines as well as vitamins and herbal products. There are not all interactions included in this guideline for medication.