Do you have a tooth infection and you want to know whether using Listerine will help you or not? Or you have also heard a lot about it, and you are here to know its reality? Let me straighten everything up for you.
Probably not the answer you were looking for here, but yes, Listerine will not kill tooth infections. Although it may speed up the recovery process or even treat it, you should not count it as an effective treatment. It has antibacterial properties due to certain ingredients, but you should use it as a mouth care product.
Reading this blog post will teach you all about Listerine and its properties. You will learn all about its uses and benefits as well. Keep reading as we get into the details of this blog.
What is Listerine?
Listerine has been a popular brand of antiseptic mouthwash since 1879. It was made by Joseph Lawrence and Jordan Wheat Lambert. Listerine originally started as a surgical antiseptic, but it has now evolved into household mouth care. It is used to get rid of bad breath, reduce plaque buildup, and promote overall oral health.
It is available in various formulations, including original, cool mint, fresh, etc. Many people have added it to their daily oral care routine. Some even use it as a supplementary step to brushing and flossing. But the main concern is whether Listerine will kill tooth infections or not. Before finding its answer, let’s first have a look at its ingredients.
Ingredients of Listerine
To understand Listerine’s effectiveness in improving oral health, you must first know about its ingredients. The specific type may vary slightly depending on the variant, but the core ingredients are usually the same. Here is a list of its core ingredients.
- Thymol: Thymol is a natural antiseptic derived from thyme oil. It is known for its antimicrobial properties. It can help combat bacteria and germs in the mouth.
- Eucalyptol: The next one is eucalyptol, which is extracted from eucalyptus oil. It is one of its key ingredients for antibacterial action. It aids in the reduction of plaque and gingivitis.
- Methyl Salicylate: The next compound on our list is methyl salicylate. It is obtained from wintergreen oil. It is the reason behind the characteristic flavor of Listerine.
- Menthol: The next one is menthol, which is responsible for its cooling sensation. It adds a refreshing touch and provides mild analgesic properties as well.
- Water: The last and most important ingredient is, of course, water. It serves as the basis for the formulation. It ensures the even distribution of active ingredients throughout the mouthwash.
Can Listerine Kill Tooth Infection?
Listerine cannot kill tooth infections. Yes, it is true. It is an amazing mouth care product with antiseptic and antibacterial properties. But remember, tooth infection is a serious issue, and it needs much more attention than just a mouth care product.
You need medical attention for it; otherwise, it might spread and cause more problems for you. The best way is to visit a doctor and follow the recommended treatment. He might recommend antibiotics or other treatments. But yes, using it alongside prescribed treatments can boost your recovery.
Case Study Results:
With the use of Listerine for tooth infections, research also started. Here is the conclusion of different case studies of using Listerine for this purpose. Here are some of its prominent advantages:
- Antibacterial: Numerous case studies highlight Listerine’s potent antibacterial properties. Ingredients like CPC, menthol, thymol, and eucalyptol are the reason behind it.
- Reduces bad-breath bacteria: The researchers also showed its effectiveness in reducing the odor-causing bacteria, which helped in improving the mouth smell.
- May aid in treating dental infections: According to the collected data, it may also aid in the treatment of dental infections. Similarly, it also said that although it may help, it is not the treatment, so you should seek medical help.
How to Use Listerine for Tooth Infection?
Here is how you should use Listerine for tooth infections alongside prescribed medications for quick recovery. Just follow these simple steps for the best use.
Choose the Right Listerine Product
The first step is the selection of the product. There are several Listerine products available on the market. Choose it carefully according to your specific needs. Here are some of its most renowned types:
- Listerine Original Antiseptic Mouth
- Listerine Mouthwash vs. Brushing and Flossing
- Listerine, Grapefruit, and Rose Mouthwash Front
- Listerine Green Tea Mouthwash
- Listerine Miswak Mouthwash
- Listerine Ultraclean Cool Mint Antiseptic Mouthwash
- Listerine Smart Rinse
- Listerine Freshburst Zero
- Listerine Advanced Defense Sensitive
The next step is to stay prepared. You can prepare by brushing your teeth before it’s used. It is because rinsing will help you get the best results from this mouth care product.
Take Proper Dose
Using it in the appropriate amount is essential. Its overuse can be a waste, and using it less may reduce its effectiveness. 20 to 30 ml is recommended for its use. You may also look at its packaging or check out its official website for more information.
Wash your mouth properly.
The last step is to wash your mouth properly. The recommended time for keeping it is 30 seconds to 1 minute. Gargle it well inside your mouth. It will keep your gums, teeth, and tongue healthy.
No listerine will kill tooth infections; hence, you should see a doctor. Although it may help in the treatment of an infection, it may not be as effective. Tooth infection is a sensitive problem, and you should not take any risk by applying any remedies like this.
The best way is to get a diagnosis and start medical treatment. Yes, it is an amazing mouth care product and can definitely help in keeping your teeth, tongue, and gums safe generally and help in recovery as well, but remember, it’s not a treatment.