Reflexology, also known as alternative medicine, involves applying pressure on specific reflex points located in the hands, feet, or ears. According to the theory, these reflex points correspond with different organs and body systems. Applying pressure can promote healing, relieve stress and improve overall wellbeing.
Reflexology works on the principle that the human body is divided up into zones. Each zone corresponds to a particular part of the body. It is believed that by stimulating reflex points within these zones, the corresponding parts of the body can be affected and brought back into balance.
Reflexology is used in conjunction with conventional medical treatments. Reflexology is considered a safe, non-invasive treatment, but it is not suitable for everyone. For example, pregnant women or people with certain medical conditions may find it unsuitable. It is always best to seek the advice of a qualified healthcare professional or reflexologist before attempting reflexology.
REFLEXOLOGY BENEFITS FOR YOUR HEALTH
Here are some benefits of reflexology.
Reduction of stress and anxiety:
Reflexology is shown to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. In a 2015 study, reflexology reduced anxiety among patients who were undergoing coronary bypass surgery. A study also found that reflexology reduced anxiety among women suffering from premenstrual symptoms (PMS).
- Relaxation: Reflexology involves pressing on specific reflex points located in the hands, feet, or ears. This pressure can relax the body and promote a calm feeling.
- Reflexology stimulates the nervous system and can reduce anxiety. Reflexologists believe that by applying pressure to specific reflex points, they can stimulate the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural feel-good chemicals.
- Reflexology can improve sleep, reducing stress and anxiety. In a 2010 study, reflexology improved sleep quality for patients with multiple sclerosis.
- Reflexology reduces muscle tension. Muscle tension can be a manifestation of anxiety and stress. Reflexologists believe that by applying pressure to reflex points, they can release tension from the muscles and promote relaxation.
- Reflexologists believe the body’s natural energy flow can be disturbed by anxiety and stress. Reflexology stimulates reflex points to help restore the balance of the body’s energies and reduce stress and anxiety.
By stimulating nerve endings in the body and encouraging the release of natural painkillers, endorphins. In a 2017 study, reflexology reduced pain and improved the quality of life for patients with chronic back pain. Here are some ways that reflexology can relieve pain.
- Stimulates nerve functions: Reflexology uses pressure on certain reflex points to stimulate the nerves of the body. This reduces pain and promotes healing.
- Reflexology improves circulation by applying pressure to specific points. This increased circulation reduces pain and inflammation.
- Reflexology releases endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s natural painkillers. Endorphins reduce anxiety and pain by promoting relaxation.
- Relaxes the muscles: Reflexology relaxes tense muscles through increased blood flow.
- Reflexology balances energy flow. It is based on a belief that energy channels in the body can be blocked and cause pain and discomfort. Reflexology works by applying pressure on specific reflex points to restore energy flow and unblock blocked channels. This reduces pain and promotes healing.
By stimulating the reflex points on the feet, reflexology can help improve blood and lymphatic circulatory circulation in the body. The improved circulation can reduce swelling and encourage the healing of injured or damaged tissue.
- Relaxes blood vessels. Reflexology relaxes the muscles that line the walls of blood vessels, making them more flexible. It improves blood circulation and reduces the risks of hypertension and varicose veins.
- Reflexology reduces inflammation. This can improve circulation. Inflammation may cause blood vessels to constrict and reduce blood flow, increasing cardiovascular disease risk.
- Reflexology promotes lymphatic drainage. The lymphatic system is vital for the removal of waste and toxins. Improved lymphatic drainage can reduce swelling and improve circulation.
- Reflexology increases oxygenation. This is important for circulation. Oxygenation improves health, reduces fatigue, and can help with overall wellbeing.
Reflexology is effective at improving digestive function in patients with IBS. In a 2018 study, reflexology was found to be effective in reducing symptoms of IBS, including abdominal pain and swelling.
- Stress relief: Stress has been linked to digestive issues such as IBS, acid reflux, and constipation. Reflexology may reduce stress and promote relaxation, which could help with digestive issues.
- Reflexology points on hands and feet are linked to the digestive system. It is believed that applying pressure to these reflexology points will stimulate the digestive organs and improve the overall function of the digestive system.
Reflexology can help improve respiratory function for patients with asthma or chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD). In a 2015 study, reflexology reduced the severity and frequency of asthma attacks.
- Reflexology improves lung function. It is believed that reflexology stimulates the respiratory system, improving lung function by increasing circulation, decreasing inflammation, and relaxing muscles around the airways.
- Reflexology stimulates the lymphatic system, which increases circulation. Strong immune systems can protect the respiratory system against infections and other harmful invaders.
- Reflexology points located on the hands, feet, and faces are thought to have a connection with the lungs and sinuses. By applying pressure to these reflexology points, you can help reduce congestion and improve breathing.
- Enhances wellbeing overall: It is believed that reflexology promotes wellbeing overall by reducing anxiety and stress, improving circulation, and promoting relaxation. The respiratory system functions better when the body is relaxed and in a balanced state.
If you suffer from a medical condition, it is best to seek the advice of a doctor before attempting any alternative therapies.